The Buzz Oates Group of Companies, a $1.5 billion dollar privately held real estate development and investment company, is looking for a seasoned tax professional. The Buzz Oates Group of Companies provide tax advisory and compliance services related to estate, trust, private foundation, partnership/LLC, S-Corporation, and individual taxation.
SUMMARY: Direct all internal corporate tax functions including consolidated income tax compliance, tax planning, interface with legal and accountants. Supervise small staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervise tax analyst position
- Prepare portfolio assignments for tax department
- Maintain company status listing
- Add new companies
- Remove closed companies
- Prioritize companies for completion of tax work at year-end
- Update with completion dates
- Coordinate timing and scope of information to be provided by Oates Investments for the preparation of tax returns and venture statements.
- Analyze sales transactions and prepare recommendations on whether or not owners should participate in a like-kind exchange.
- Coordinate like-kind exchanges with the exchange intermediary and transaction manager
- Prepare identification letters for all exchanges
- Prepare and maintain exchange summary report
- Prepare cost segregation analysis for completed construction jobs for assigned companies
- Prepare and post journal entries for the following items for assigned portfolio of companies:
- Commission and financing fee amortization
- Sales, purchases and bank loans
- Allocation of land and building basis to appropriate profit centers after completion of construction or lot line adjustments
- Accrual to cash adjustments
- Like-kind exchanges
- Close retained earnings
- Calculate quarterly estimated tax payments.
- Calculate quarterly tax distributions to partners for Buzz Oates Management Services and Buzz Oates Construction.
- Coordinate information required for calculation of Enterprise Zone Credits
- Prepare tax returns and venture statements for assigned companies
- Review tax returns and venture statements prepared by tax analyst(s)
- Prepare financial statements for various partnerships and individuals
- Manage IRS and FTB exams on behalf of tax preparation clients
- Apply for rulings from Internal Revenue Service as required
- Review proposed tax legislation and regulations and advise senior management as to matters of interest or concern
- Address tax issues impacting business planning, business strategies, cash flow and earnings.
- Coordinate issues among staff and manage staff. Hire and train tax staff.
- Identify, design and implement process improvements for effective tax forecasting/reporting/planning
- Manage tax planning projects; research tax issues; identify tax savings review
- Identify and assist with implementation of tax planning and tax savings strategies
Research and consult on complex tax matters
- Ability to manage and develop staff in a highly interactive team environment
- Special projects as required
VP Organization Development
The Buzz Oates Group of Companies